Author Topic: Vodka+Anger=STO working decently on Linux? Seems so.  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
Vodka+Anger=STO working decently on Linux? Seems so.
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:29:02 AM »
I got wasted... woke up, I'd blasted away my Windows install (didn't lose anything thankfully), put a fresh Ubuntu install... and made a Winebottle for STO that worked.

Now, I have no idea how the hell I did it. If anyone here wants to know how to do it, I will attempt to backtrack and create a tutorial in this thread. I used POL so it can't be too hard.

Drop a reply if you want it. Also, I'm not dead- this happened three weeks ago and it wasn't very good vodka.  :-[

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
Re: Vodka+Anger=STO working decently on Linux? Seems so.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:58:28 AM »
Watch out for the shitty Popov vodka: I ended up with worthless installations of both Puppy and DamnSmall on my main gaming rig instead of the 400MHz machine they were intended to be installed on. That was the last time I ever drank vodka. It's all whiskey and wine for me nowadays.  ::)

Nice to know it's possible to run STO on Linux without VirtualBox; I'm surprised PlayOnLinux and Wine worked for it... must've been the vodka and the Ballmer Peak effect.  ;)

Offline Cababs

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »
Which Linux distro was this working in?
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (can vary on monthly basis)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
RAM: 8GB
External GFX card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »
@Feargen YES, that would explain it. It wasn't that bad- I usually stick to scotch and IPAs myself, so returning to frat poison was not a good experience. "DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS....."

@Cababs
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in 64-Bit.

Pretty sure I figured it out. It works best with the old launcher, since ARC is a buggy gobshite even when it isn't WINEd. I'll post the howto after I run a few missions with this config. I'm just glad I have a copy of the old installer handy...

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 11:28:48 PM »
Success!

It played though the crystalline event without issue. I'll get cracking on that tutorial.

Offline Cababs

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
whats the deal with gfx card drivers for Linux, more specifically Linux Mint 14.

Do I just download and run, like Windows, or another method?

I've only installed TeamSpeak and Spotify on that Linux VM
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (can vary on monthly basis)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
RAM: 8GB
External GFX card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:51:47 AM »
Well, that depends primarily on how you have it set up (the host OS, the VM OS.)

If for instance you're running Mint 14 in a VM atop another OS, then the drivers you need to deal with are those of the host OS. You would then configure your VM software (e.g. Virtualbox) to determine how the guest OS uses the host OS's hardware. If your PC has hardware assisted virtualization then you want to turn that on in BIOS/UEFI.

In VBox there are numerous options for this. Generally you only want to enable what you need to minimize the VM's impact on the host system.

Now, for Mint 14 and most Ubuntu derivatives there are a few options for drivers, and which one you use depends on the GPU you have.

Don't use Jockey (the graphical one.) It sucks. I've found the implementation in Ubuntu 13.04 to be good but I still prefer the CLI method. I mean, you could try it, but I've had that break installs quite a few times, especially with Nvidia drivers.

If you have a recent AMD GPU it's very easy. Open a terminal and type:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates fglrx-updates-dev
sudo aticonfig --lsa
sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial
sudo reboot
After the reboot, you can verify that everything works with
sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --odgt

This method has the advantage of letting you use Overdrive as well, if your GPU supports it.

Here is a link to Nvidia instructions. I cannot over-emphasize the need to back up your stuff- and don't use the graphical installer in Mint.

I've found that Cinnamon and MATE sometimes misbehave with proprietary drivers... so be mindful of that possibility.
[url]http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-ringtail-nvidia.html/[url]