Author Topic: A Time to Remember: Windows XP  (Read 845 times)

Offline Cababs

• Commodore
A Time to Remember: Windows XP
« on: April 08, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »
As you well know Windows XP is no longer being supported by Microsoft as of April 8th 2014. Windows XP feels like an old family dog, she eats her food, sleeps and enjoys her remaining days. However it feels like somebody at Microsoft said "Sorry Girl, gotta put you down"

Windows XP was designed to replace the ageing Windows NT4 Workstations, Windows 2000 and Windows ME PCs. XP was released in 2001, whilst its server version (built on XP) Server 2003 was released 2 years later.

Windows XP was released in 2001 and 5 years later Microsoft created Windows Vista, lets just say XP's hold was strengthened. In 2009 Microsoft released another version of Windows, Windows 7. Although Windows 7 was better that Vista, there was still a debate weather XP was better.

Windows XP has had 12 years as a Microsoft Operating System. No other Microsoft OS has had this honour and I doubt any other will. As of writing this Windows XP hold 30% of the OS of choice of all the worlds PCs.

it is my belief that XP will continue to be used despite of the End of Support. I personally know some places that are still using Windows 2000, NT4 and even Windows 98SE!
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (can vary on monthly basis)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
RAM: 8GB
External GFX card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
Re: A Time to Remember: Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:05:51 PM »
My netbook still proudly runs a carved down/powertooled up version of Windows XP Pro alongside whatever linux distro I'm infatuated with at the time(LinuxMint- 16Petra with Xfce desktop as of this writing; Fucking sexy distro, I tell ya :P).

XP Pro will ALWAYS have it's uses for custom classic gaming in my household... little old desktops setup to run emulators built into really cool stuff like THIS.

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »
I keep an XP box around for classics (it's air-gapped though.) It's the same one I built when I was 12. The first computer that was *mine* ran XP.

I've been making customers sign a liability waiver for the past couple of years before I work on XP machines, and I make a point of shouting at holders of my important data who are still running it. :)

It's a good OS, but it's been swiss cheese for the last four years or so, and it's about to get a whole lot cheesier.

I'll leave you guys with my current ringtone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9KbKKJVVo

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
I keep an XP box around for classics (it's air-gapped though.) It's the same one I built when I was 12. The first computer that was *mine* ran XP.

I've been making customers sign a liability waiver for the past couple of years before I work on XP machines, and I make a point of shouting at holders of my important data who are still running it. :)

It's a good OS, but it's been swiss cheese for the last four years or so, and it's about to get a whole lot cheesier.

I'll leave you guys with my current ringtone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9KbKKJVVo

ROFL! Excellent. You've just done the software equivalent of coming and speaking at a person's funeral and being completely honest about the loathsome son of a bitch, openly remarking how glad everyone is that they are gone, and what a fucking pain in the ass it will be to clean up their legacy.

This truly made me laugh and is very Unfound of you.  Fucking awesome.

Offline Craig

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 07:00:07 AM »
Mwhahahah I'd be ringing the phone just to hear it.
I love cake, and HAMMERS

Offline Dale Fletcher

• Unfound Participant
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:18:27 AM »
lol, I'm still running XP on my pentium IV and will continue to as I can't afford a new rig right now. STO lags abit,but at least the game runs ok. Cheers, Tarroog
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:07:49 PM by Dale Fletcher »