Author Topic: Reports of my death have been exaggerated somewhat  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
Reports of my death have been exaggerated somewhat
« on: April 27, 2014, 12:23:14 AM »
So, apart from preparing for a LOOOONG move and having some misplaced Audi fragments removed (EDIT: from my leg, because they are scum cars, etc.) I've had little more than a frankenlaptop (without a real GPU) to use the past couple months. Also had to sell off the desktop I was using in order to replace my car, which is a needed thing here in Ass-End-of-Nowhere, NY.

I had been building its replacement since January anyway. It's been mining Dogecoins as I add parts (hey, gotta make it pull its weight) and all I need now is a Windoze disc (going to law school so gotta stay legit on that) an SSD and some bonkers fast RAM, which I expect to get over the next couple of weeks.

This is an early picture from Februaryish... I've since put a better VRM water block in and sold off one of the GPUs (because of the AMD card price spike happening at the time, it was apparently worth 1/3 of a decent jalopy.)

So yeah. As soon as I get this bitchen' new rig going, it's killing time. I'll be back. Insert other catch phrases here. I'll brag about specs on inquiry. ;)

Even cooler: I bet I can get teamspeak to work on this bad boy! The old XONAR card I had never liked it.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:34:23 PM by Daedrus »

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
Re: Reports of my death have been exaggerated somewhat
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »
Badass! I wants to hear the specs...  :o
I miss my rig... my humble gaming rig at the dense center of the storage area into which ALL of my stuff is crammed.  :'(

So, do me a favor and regale us all with tales of your rig's prowess.  8)

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
Re: Reports of my death have been exaggerated somewhat
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »
Mine is not much of a rig until I get some RAM for it.

Computer Hardware:
Gigabyte Z87 OC Force Board
Intel i7-4770K (de-lidded and modded with CL Liquid Pro TIM between CPU die and heat spreader plate- removing the main weakness of that CPU.)

I had 16GB DDR3-2000 RAM in it, but I sold it. It was a holdover from my last rig. I'll likely keep the same amount but up it to 2400.

XFX R9-290X GPU

I'll likely put an M550 or M500 SSD in it.

The system is fully water cooled. EK full-cover water block on GPU, and the VRM/PLX block on the board was also replaced with an EK water block. Swiftech Apogee Drive II pump/block on CPU, 1/2" tubing. One triple 120MM radiator on the top and one dual 120mm in front.

Case is a Fractal Design Arc XL.

The end result: Even when the GPU and CPU are Scrypt mining under significant overclock, the temperatures never break 50C.

(CPU will stably overclock to 4.6 GHz on Linux.)

Not too shabby, but not quite ready for primetime. I got my quiet-as-death backup server up as a desktop for the time being. I might have to stick with that until I move.