Author Topic: A list of notable, useful free gear  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
A list of notable, useful free gear
« on: July 03, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
You've gotten your toon to LV. 50... but now what? Obviously, you'll be wanting some rep gear, but that takes time. Fleet gear also takes time, albeit not as much. You might have a bit of EC, but you're dutifully sacrificing DOFFs to the starbase. And if you're a cheap bastard like me... well

This guide is here to point out some cheap/fast/free gems that haven't been weeded out by PWE's beancounters yet. Depending on how the new crafting system pans out, (which will most certainly be better, but also a much longer/costlier grind than the old one). Cababs has a guide with a complete list elsewhere, so this one will focus on my favorites as well as some new ones added when the Borg missions were redone. This guide assumes you've hit VA (50.) Not included is stuff you get automatically as you progress through reps.

#1: Polarized Tetryon Beams (Cardassian plot: The New Link)

This one is the overall best imo- at least if you're a sci or beam boat sort. I regard it as one of the game's BEST support weapons, even compared to fleet and rep stuff. It comes in a Dual beam and Beam Array, of which you can get one.

This is essentially a regular tet beam, but unlike every other tet beam in the game, this has a 10% proc chance. Anyone who runs tetryons runs them for for the proc. A 10% proc makes them the best shield strippers in the game. And procs aren't dependent on weapons power afaik.

Better still: The mission is also comparatively short and not all that difficult- not a bad thing when you need to repeat it 6-8 times. PLUS you get a defeated changeling, which rewards 200 dilithium. STILL better is the fact that no rep or fleet shield has native resistance to tetryon weapons.

As if that isn't enough, Tetryon's shield drain proc is one of those tied to Flow Capacitors. A blue XI Flow caps console is just 15K on the exchange. Later you can get embassy consoles, and save you tac slots for universal consoles later on. This one is worth it, because not even top flight rep/fleet gear does what this does, and it's very easy to get and buff further. No other energy weapon in the game has a 10% proc chance.

#2: Plasma-Disruptor Hybrid (DHC/Beam Array)
Fed toons: Klingon plot "Past Imperfect"
Rom toons: "Allies" plot "Smash and Grab"

This is basically Romulan Plasma, but backwards. It's a disruptor w/plasma proc also present- not bad if you plan to do a fleet disruptor build later on. There is also a mild accuracy bonus. I'd go this route for a DHC build. No native resists for this either.

The downside: All faction missions to get these are long, so get 4/5 DHCs, not 8 beams- unless you are dedicated or something. If you're going beams, see #1.

#3: Dominion Polaron (DCs and Beam Array)

Polaron beam with Tetryon proc added. BOTH procs boosted by flow caps, in other words, and good for a polaron support build. Suck on that, enemy science ships. Goes well with Jem set. Regular dual cannons are stupid though, so stick to the beams.

The big downside? They come from "Boldly they Rode." A LONG featured episode whose terrible voice acting can be summed up with just two words to chill the mightiest of bones:

"Kurland Here."

Stacking 8 of these and the XII jem set on a galor/JemNaught is a good combo, but playing that mission nine times will rot you.

#4: Caustic Plasma (ROM only, "The Last Stand")

Comes in beam, dual beam, turret and DHC.

Has double ACC and a meaner but faster proc effect. For RRF players, a good freebie combined with the right boffs. The DHC might do some other shit too, but STOwiki may be out of date on that.

#5: Breen Plot items: Namely Rapid Reload Transphasic from "Cold Comfort" and the Breen Clusterfuck torpedo from "Out in the Cold"

If you are a torp user, or are the sort to do an all-torp build these aren't bad to have. Use 2/3 of adapted MACO, but if you really like transphasics (and some do) the breen set will buff them. Throw in tac consoles for some more bite. Add in the borg one from the next section.

I don't regard the Breen set as being good for much else, however.

#6: "Borg Advance"- redone borg and undine plots, much less shitty.

"Assimilation" Free Mk XI Borg Prosthetic arm ground weapon that's actually a dash better than the rep store XII version. For now.

"Fluid Dynamics"
-Adaptive transphasic Torpedo XI [DMGx3] [Borg]- yes, remember the [borg] modifier?

-AP Beam Array, Dual Beam bank, or Dual Cannons XI with [Acc] [CrtD] [Dmg]

AP is the only time it's OK to use Dual Cannons. AP doesn't have a proc, which is calculated per volley cycle (each time you fire it.) Instead, it has a crit severity bonus, and crits are calculated per shot (each time a little red bolt hits the enemy.) It's a quick and dirty crit chance hike, albeit a tiny one. DHCs are still better, but at least these DCs aren't useless.

While we're on AP:

#7: "Sphere of Influence"

Omni-directional AP [acc, dmg, arc, mk infinity] comes from here. This is a beam with a turret firing arc. This is a must-have for any AP build. Supposedly there will be other versions of this added to the new crafting system.

Obelisk Rift Warp Core also comes from this. This is a good warp core, particularly for science/cruiser/a2b builds as it boosts aux power, has a>s, boosts subsystem repair, has a shield capacitor, and boosts AP damage when combined with the Omni AP array.

A double Acc blue AP array is also obtainable from this.

You can also get Advanced Obelisk Swarmer carrier pets from this mission, though it is a little involved. Refer to the STOwiki page for the how-to.

#8: "A Step Between Stars"

From this you get 3/4 of the "Solinae Hybrid Technology" set- Impulse, Deflector, and Shields. This is actually a pretty solid set even without the warp core- again, best for cruiser or Sci builds but not too bad as a set for cannon builds. (If you didn't get the warp core from the anniversary event, well, you're S.O.L. on that, but it's still a decent set and I'll take 3 Tuvoks over one Kurland any day.)

#9: "Surface Tension"

-Ultra rare XI kit frame that's slotted out like the Embassy kit frame but offers a psionic resist.

-Counter Command Multi-energy relay- boosts phaser, disruptor, radiation and photon damage and is part of a set. Good for bio-molecular builds and radiation damage special attacks (like the Risan Wave generator for instance) but useless otherwise without the whole set. I only mention it because rainbow builds are coming back.

-TRAIT! "Living Hull" is really the only worthy reward here, but it isn't bad. It adds a small, flat boost to out of combat base hull regen and a smaller flat boost to in-combat base hull regen. Not huge but if you can spare a slot it's nice.

That's all I can think of (I omitted the Hargh'Peng/efficient engines/grav modulation engines on purpose.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:07:18 AM by Daedrus »

Offline Cababs

• Commodore
Re: A list of notable, useful free gear
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
All my toons have all these. only because I cant be asred to spend dil on my other toons =].

All of this equip is STF worthy, just stay away from PVP Queues
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (can vary on monthly basis)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
RAM: 8GB
External GFX card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »
I'd easily bring the Polarized Tetryon beams to PVP if I got tapped for a support role (as long as everything else is fleet/rep gear, that is.) I actually do see people use them sometimes, usually with at least two bits of the Nukara Weapon set.

But yeah... all that other stuff is best left home in PVP- and even the polarized tets should be taken in with the understanding that you're a support guy (a concept often forgotten in random queues.)

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »
I'd easily bring the Polarized Tetryon beams to PVP if I got tapped for a support role (as long as everything else is fleet/rep gear, that is.) I actually do see people use them sometimes, usually with at least two bits of the Nukara Weapon set.

But yeah... all that other stuff is best left home in PVP- and even the polarized tets should be taken in with the understanding that you're a support guy (a concept often forgotten in random queues.)

I agree with all of this; especially the emphasis on the support role of these weapons. Great article, thanks Daedrus!