Author Topic: Big victory for the Internet.  (Read 839 times)

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
Big victory for the Internet.
« on: January 29, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16655272
SOPA and PIPA have been tabled indefinitely. For the WIN! A major achievement for the entire world.

Offline Vaako

• Unfound Original
Re: Big victory for the Internet.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
That's right!  Don't take any guff from these swine!

It's how we roll on the Interwebs...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:53:14 AM by Feargan »

Offline optimashprime

• Unfound Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »
I don't see how they could pass the laws anyway, the internet is supposed to be a free domain where no-one person/goverment can take control. The US didn't invent the internet anyway.

This reminds me of the case, I heard about it I wasn't alive when it happened, where microsoft tried to slowly own the internet and take it over. The company was taken to court and they lost due to the reasons I posted above. I agree that some laws/restrictions are needed but not so much that the internet is another goverment controlled medium

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:17:02 AM »
I don't see how they could pass the laws anyway, the internet is supposed to be a free domain where no-one person/government can take control. The US didn't invent the internet anyway.

This reminds me of the case, I heard about it I wasn't alive when it happened, where microsoft tried to slowly own the internet and take it over. The company was taken to court and they lost due to the reasons I posted above. I agree that some laws/restrictions are needed but not so much that the internet is another government controlled medium.

First: the US did, in fact, contribute the most to the creation of the Internet. However, the "invention" of the Internet cannot be attributed to one single country, entity, or person ->
"The US created the first network ARPANET, which was attributed to a lot of people. Some worked on the hardware and others worked on packet switching etc.

Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web (WWW) for CERN to facilitate more effective sharing of information.

Al Gore created the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991, which helped to form the Internet as we know it today." 

The problem with the laws in question (which damn-near held enough clout to get pushed through, before major protestors like Wikipedia and others "went dark" for 24 hours) is briefly illustrated in this article and many others: http://mashable.com/2012/01/17/sopa-dangerous-opinion/

What you may not realize, is that just because a person or group is not in the US, doesn't make them immune to prosecution and/or extradition. Just look at what happened to MegaUpload: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/01/file-sharing-megaupload-shut-down-for-piracy-by-feds.html

The comment about how Microsoft "tried to slowly own the internet and take it over." is most inaccurate. Microsoft engaged in monopolistic, anti-competitive business practices which is illegal in the US and many other countries. How this relates to the Internet -> The most publicized anti-competitive action of Microsoft was the bundling of "Internet Explorer" with the Windows operating system. This effectively shut Netscape and other browsers out of competition. That is why they lost their case and the company was split by court order.

Believe it or not, the Internet is already a "government controlled medium"; it always has been. It takes exceptionally little to cease all network traffic in or out of ANY country. Most countries already mine data on and directly monitor the internet traffic of their citizens. The single most secure method of online anonymity is the TOR network, which has severe limitations and is most vulnerable to "controlled endpoint statistical analysis" (Which is only achievable by governments and collaborating backbone ISPs).

Don't believe governments are watching you online right this very second?
Here's a frightening experiment: Install a torrent client such as uTorrent. Then install PeerGuardian2. Next, start a P2P torrent download and watch PeerGuardian's log of incoming network traffic requests. You'll see everything from the CIA, FBI, Interpol, your local authorities, even the fucking Chinese government trying to track and make requests to your Internet connection.
Safety? Security? Privacy? Freedom? These are an illusion.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:03:08 PM by Feargan »

Offline optimashprime

• Unfound Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »
I know that they do watch the internet and they look for possible threats etc but most governments say that everyone has freedom of speech but yet every single government controls our speech, its infuriating.

I would continue my rant but I have ran out of ideas but simply put  >:( to people trying to shut down the net