Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 690 times)

Offline Cababs

• Commodore
Star Trek Online
« on: March 19, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »

Yes it is time to talk about this. most of us know each other because of Star Trek Online and for that I do give it a huge thank you, however I have been holding this review off for sometime because like some of you, I too have been hit by the Cryptic Nerf Cannon. Anyways before I get into that lets just talk about the game and what it offers.

Star Trek Online is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) developed by Cryptic Studios based on the popular Star Trek series created by Gene Roddenberry. The game is set in the 25th century, 30 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis and sets the scene for 2009 Star Trek movie reboot.

Star Trek Online was released February 2, 2010. At launch, the game required a game purchase and a recurring monthly fee. On January 17, 2012, it re-launched with under the free-to-play model.

A MMO that is free-to-play. In 2012 this has become the norm, allowing any player to enter the game and enjoy its content. Unlike other rival games such as Star Wars The Old Republic & World of Warcraft, where these had level restrictions and subscriber unlocks such as play above level 20 (WOW) or gear above common (SWTOR), Star Trek Online came out on trumps by allowing all players to use all of the gear, missions and levels in the game straight off the bat.

Since Star Trek Online become free-to-play, Cryptic had to find a way to make money. Their answer was lockboxes. These are items that contained other items there are extremely derisible, such as unique playable ships and high level gear that you can only pay for by unlocking these boxes. The game allows you to get the items by grinding for them. At no time does Cryptic tell you "you need these!". I have played many "free-to-play" games and Star Trek Online is true to the game. There are other games that say "Free-to-Play" but in reality most are just "Free-mium" games. (Yes facebook we are looking at you!)

I will write more later......much later *shudder*....
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (can vary on monthly basis)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
External GFX card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB