Author Topic: Public Service Announcement: Windows10  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
Public Service Announcement: Windows10
« on: August 02, 2015, 10:45:01 AM »
Windows 10: You don't want it; not at launch, anyway.

Here's how to cancel your reservation, should you want to do so:
Successfully cancelling your windows 10 upgrade reservation

If you've already installed it, you can do a search for how to fix the default security settings.
Here is one of the results: https://www.rt.com/usa/311383-windows-opt-out-privacy/

I recommend chanting "the power of Christ compels you!" repeatedly while throwing holy water on the chassis, putting a gun/hammer/grenade/napalm to the hard drive, and blowing the unholy abomination away. Hell, just the privacy policy fuckening has made it down beneath the rock I live under:
“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks,”
 “Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”
"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary..."

They did/do all this shit anyway, but now they aren't even going to bother to hide it; they're asking you to agree to it.
Well, I certainly don't fucking agree.  >:(

Let the reign of Linux and virtual machines running there upon begin once again!
Hell, maybe SteamOS will become robust enough to warrant installation on a virtual machine.
Oh! I wonder what distro I'll use? Ubuntu? Maybe Mint... certainly a Debian derivative of some form... heh!  :D
Now look what I've done... I've gone and made a fun and time consuming puzzle of settings and optimizations to be made.   ;D

Fuck Windows. 8)

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
Re: Public Service Announcement: Windows10
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 12:19:15 PM »
Cheers to that, friend!

While we're on this subject, there is something they DID hide: The P2P update bullshit!

BY DEFAULT, your PC gets updates via a p2p system in addition to M$ download servers.

That also means it GIVES updates to OTHER PEOPLE by the same means. If you don't want those fucks to have your bandwidth, you must go to advanced update options, "Choose how updates are delivered," and either turn the thing off entirely, or restrict it to PCs on your local network (which is useful and won't eat external bandwidth.)

Offline Craig

• Unfound Original
    • Buzz-Mobiles.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:00:11 PM »
is 10 any good?
I love cake, and HAMMERS

Come visit me at

http://RigsUK.com

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:39:57 PM »
is 10 any good?

When was the last time ANY software product was any good at launch? No, really; I'm asking... I genuinely cannot remember. Seriously, like, back in the 1990's or something?

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:49:27 PM »
Cheers to that, friend!

While we're on this subject, there is something they DID hide: The P2P update bullshit!

BY DEFAULT, your PC gets updates via a p2p system in addition to M$ download servers.

That also means it GIVES updates to OTHER PEOPLE by the same means. If you don't want those fucks to have your bandwidth, you must go to advanced update options, "Choose how updates are delivered," and either turn the thing off entirely, or restrict it to PCs on your local network (which is useful and won't eat external bandwidth.)

Nice catch mate. I currently have to fight for my bandwidth until they finish installing fiber in my neighborhood, so this matters to people like me.

Offline Cababs

• Master General
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:34:21 AM »
*lowers and shakes head in disapproval*

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 - just in case you was curious

Windows TEN!
You've been down too long of the list of me
Oh what's becoming of thee
Ride of the Dummies
I can see your might but are you clean
Oh you don't see what I mean
Gotta get away
Windows TEN!

If the above makes no sense then sing it to the tune of Holy Diver!
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (can vary on monthly basis)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
RAM: 8GB
External GFX card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander