Author Topic: Free-2-Play, Steam & YOU!  (Read 868 times)

Offline Cababs

• Commodore
Free-2-Play, Steam & YOU!
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
Steam is a brilliant service for getting games on sale. that being said Steam has a large collection of Free-2-Play games. lets look at a select few now.

Team Fortress 2 is one of the games people think of when somebody says Valve. For me this was the first game that I downloaded on Steam. Classic class based system and simple gameplay mechanics. it wasn't until Mann Vs Machine was realised I started to play it more. Mann Vs Machine is similar to Gears of War's Horde Mode.

Ah the wonderful Loadout. the main focus of this game is the weapon crafting system. Want a sniper rifle that shoots fire? got you sorted. once a pair of weapons is created then you dive into multipler. like Team Fortress 2 there is PvP but it is not as popular as its PvE content. a team of players vs AI.

DOTA 2 is different from the other two games. this is a MOBA. (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) the game play is very different, although there are about 6 classes in the game you are restricted to 1 class per game. this means that if you train with one character and somebody else picks that character before you then your shit of luck because you cant have 2 of the same character. althought I can play this, this is a game I try to say away from.

What I like about the games above is that they play straight from the Steam client. meaning that you don't need to use a separate launcher and account to play. this streamlining really makes these games fun and not a chore.

Talking about Free-2-Play can not be complete without talking about Cryptic Studios. I have been playing Star Trek Online since it became Free-2-Play and to be honest I always find my way back to it.

Neverwinter is Cryptic Studios own game (since STO was originally made by Atari) and I was impressed by the graphics. for me this reminds me of DragonAge.

Blacklight Retribution is more like DOTA 2 than other Cryptic games. you are limited to have basic gear and advanded gear is cycled to be used by free players. this is a good example of Pay-2Win.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:37:56 AM by Cababs »
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (can vary on monthly basis)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
RAM: 8GB
External GFX card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
Re: Free-2-Play, Steam & YOU!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 09:44:14 AM »
I'm looking forward to trying Loadout. :)