Author Topic: GoDaddy Raised Our Rent... Again.  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
GoDaddy Raised Our Rent... Again.
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »
Well, it finally happened; GoDaddy just wants way too much fucking money for another year of service. ~$124 USD for domain name registration and cPanel webhosting. Fuqdat. I'm not paying them that much for something I once was able to make a 1st generation iPhone accomplish through technowizardry. Also, we're about $100 shy for donations to cover that cost. We have had enough for the Teamspeak3 and domain name registration renewal, but ~$100 for webhosting is absurd; I'm not wasting our money on that.

So, since we can't/won't cover that cost this year, I'll be spending the next few days moving the website somewhere else... probably back to the free host from whence it came. This can only go well. ???

Drink one for me, this is rarely fun and I have no beer.  :P

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
Re: GoDaddy Raised Our Rent... Again.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 10:42:28 AM »
Well, it took only a short while of attempting this migration before my wife woke up and found me in an... unpleasant state that she had wished to avoid. She has decided to pay my ransom and save me from the hideous task with which I was entangled. As it turns out, she had already budgeted for us to cover the cost of renewal for the year.

Fuck YES!  8)

So, drink a toast to my amazing wife and to those who have donated this year.
(Cababs<-[HUGE Fucking Donation] and Issac<-[VeryAwesomeDonation])
And don't forget to drink one for those who contribute in every other kick-ass way...
which is everyone... basically: keep drinking... a lot.  ;D

Offline Craig

• Unfound Original
    • Buzz-Mobiles.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 12:21:36 PM »
One.com
I love cake, and HAMMERS

Come visit me at

http://RigsUK.com

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »
One.com

WAY better pricing than GoDaddy, obviously. Might switch... Looking at that $121 USD difference is very tempting.
To Switch:
Cost of Domain registration and hosting for the next year with One.com: $3  EDIT: $14
Cost for the year after that: $37  EDIT: $48
To Stay:
Cost of Domain registration and hosting for the next year with GoDaddy.com: $124
Value of avoiding the wretched hell of a website server migration: $Priceless$
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:11:18 PM by Feargan »

Offline Craig

• Unfound Original
    • Buzz-Mobiles.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:01:38 AM »
Well in 12 months, you just swap to one&one.com, or some other hosting company, I'll chip in some $$$$'s if I can in coming months as when I move I'll be back working again.
I love cake, and HAMMERS

Come visit me at

http://RigsUK.com

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »
Well... I decided to move us to One.com after all.
After only a few kicks in the dick, the server migration is complete!  8)

What were those kicks in the nether-bits you ask?
1)   PHP 7.0 <- This was the nastiest little bitch that nearly fucked the whole migration. THANKFULLY, there was a buried option to run the new host with a downgrade to PHP 5.6 and avoid complete and total dick-loss.  :o  No really, I nearly had to start us a whole new forum from scratch.

2) Source Directory errors: These were friendly love-taps to the junk in comparison to the PHP problem, but were still a bitch to track down.

3) Using a Windows machine as the working environment. -> Not that big a deal other than having directories and files with the same name but different capitalization... which requires manual renaming of all the similar files/directories... one at a fucking time because Microsoft filesystems are too stupid to be case sensitive. I mean, really... it's 2016 for fuck sake; file systems should be able to tell the difference between capitalized and not capitalized letters.

4) Domain Transfer Fuckery - Again with the 2016-ness of now! It took GoDaddy and One.com almost 2 days to communicate and move the domain. Meh... could've been worse.

TL;DR - Server was Migrated to One.com; it broke; I fixed it. Party On.  8)