Author Topic: Console maths: How to get stacked, but not too stacked  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
Console maths: How to get stacked, but not too stacked
« on: October 09, 2014, 02:28:38 AM »
This is intended to be a general thread about things to consider as you build out your ship. I will try to keep this up-to-date, and will add some relevant information over time.

1. Stacking Consoles.

Different types of console stack different ways, but nowadays it is the modified trait that stacks (say, a console and deflector both boost Flow Capacitors.) Some will stack without penalty, but others stack with diminishing returns (think of it as a log curve as opposed to a line.) Cryptic has been known to mess with this from time to time. Whether or not there is a stack for a given trait should affect how you buy consoles and other gear. A full stack of armor consoles for instance... not as helpful as you'd think.

So, let's take my Risian Cruiser. I have a base damage resist of 14.4% for all types of damage.

I add a fleet Neutronium console XII, purporting to add 21.2 to this number. I put it on and... 27.3 percent.

What?

That's because the 21.2 number assumes you have zero base damage resist (this depends on skills). Already you see the curve. The actual gain is 12.9%.

Now, I add a second, same console. Now it's 36.5% resist. Gain: 9.3%.

Third console, same deal, but the gain is now 6.8% to make 43.3%.

And the fourth? A gain of 5.1 to make 48.4. Needless to say, it's sort of silly to have 5 when the slot is better used for something helpful-er. Some would say 4 outweighs their benefits.

As a different example, let's look at the Spire weapon consoles and how they affect their mods. I have an antiproton tail gun that does a listed 517.3 base DPS. Note that weapons consoles act on the UNMODDED base damage of the weapon. That's less than 517.3 because of my skill allotment.

Add one Fleet Mag Regulator XII (with crit chance boost.)
49.5 DPS gain, from 517.3 to 566.8.
1.6 Crit Chance gain, from 11.4% to 13%, just like on the tin.

Add a second: 49.4 gain, same gain as before for crit chance to 14.6%.

Third: 49.5 again, 1.6 again. Just like on the tin. (that .4 from the second is likely due to rounding.)

So, weapons consoles do not stack with diminishing returns. Each new one adds the same amount.

I'd be loath to omit sci consoles. Let's see what these fleet flow cap ones do for us:
Base w/skills: 109

Add one Embassy flow-cap console (claims to increase by 31.9%...)

32 increase. Add another... same deal. So, that's flat too.

The point is, it's good to have a lot of some, but pointless to have a lot of others.

That's it for now. Any general or math-y build questions, post 'em here.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:21:38 PM by Daedrus »

Offline Feargan

• Commodore
  • Unfound Engineer
    • UNFOUND
Re: Consoles and you: an FAQ post for builds. Also, Q&A.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
I. LOVE. THIS. THREAD.
Why did I/we forget to make something explaining this sooner? Because we didn't have Daedrus to kick ass and put this together so concisely. You even spelled 'allotment' correctly. *Happy Tear* Thanks D, nice work man.

8)

Offline Daedrus

• Division Commander
Re: Consoles and you: a FAQ post for builds. Also, Q&A.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »
Thank you mister. I'll try to keep it updated.